Frequently Asked Questions
Can the money I donate go to my sponsored child?
No. The money raised will be appropriately distributed to the needs outlined in the cause listed, which have gone through rigorous approvals to be made available for donation. Compassion staff at the centers know the communities they serve best, so rest assured, your gifts will be used to help children and their families who need it the most.
Who Is Compassion International?
Compassion International is a child development organization that partners with 27 countries around the world to release children and their families from poverty in Jesus' name. Through this partnership, we provide culturally appropriate child development programs to combat economic, physical, social and spiritual poverty. Our ultimate goal is to enable children to become responsible, fulfilled adults while forming, motivating and equipping others to advocate for them.
What is your mission statement?
Releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name.
How does Compassion work?
Compassion is known for its sponsorship program, though there are many other ways to get involved. Through sponsorship, an individual has the opportunity to pour into the life of a specific child through letter-writing, gift-giving and monthly donations toward opportunities provided at the child development center, ranging from education to health care.
Sponsorship is not the only way to come alongside those in poverty; at Compassion, supporters can also contribute to specific causes through donating to various funds related to water, disaster relief, income generation and more.
Where does Compassion work?
Today, Compassion works in 27 countries.
- In Africa, we work in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Togo and Uganda. (expanding to Malawi)
- In Central America, we work in the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua and Mexico.
- In South America, we work in Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.
- In Asia, we work in Bangladesh, Indonesia, the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Thailand. (expanding to Myanmar)
What makes Compassion stand out among other child development and/or sponsorship organizations?
Compassion has four very distinct values:
- Christ-Centered. Without coercion, we teach the life-changing gospel to every child in a culturally relevant way.
- Child-Focused. Our ministry directly engages each child as a complete person.
- Church-Based. We choose to partner with the local church as a group of believers who can teach, train and mentor children. This is done in partnership with parents and the community.
- Committed to Integrity. We commit to excellence and integrity to best benefit the children we serve. We commit to help children, families and churches create relevant child development activities. We commit to the highest professional and biblical principles.
Do children have to become Christians to continue receiving help from Compassion?
No. Regardless of a child's faith, they are welcome to partake in all activities and benefit from all opportunities available at the frontline church partner. However, Compassion's program is unapologetically Christian.
While we do not coerce children or their families to become Christ-followers, we do give them the opportunity to see living faith in action, hear the gospel and be taught in the ways of Christ.